EVENT LAB – PRE DOCTORAL (PHD STUDENT) POSITION
Enhancing Collaborative Meetings in Virtual Reality
The Event Lab (Experimental Virtual Environments for Neuroscience and Technology) at the University of Barcelona is a group specialising in Virtual Reality. We are a computer science group and we carry out studies and applications in psychology and cognitive neuroscience.
Facebook has funded a PhD to be carried out in the Event Lab that will concentrate on methods for the enhancement of virtual reality scenarios that are simultaneously shared by multiple people across the world. The PhD will focus on the use of Machine Learning techniques that aim to enhance the collaboration, such as the success of meetings.
The first supervisor of the research will be Prof. Mel Slater, and the second supervisor Dr Joan Llobera. The successful candidate will join a team at the Event Lab who are working on a European Research Council project MoTIVE.
The successful candidate
- Must have a Masters degree in computer science or related technical field (physics, engineering, etc.) or similar such as a 4 year undergraduate degree, or else in a relevant topic (cognitive psychology with computing, computer graphics, artificial intelligence, etc.).
- Must be able to program in languages such as C, C++, C# (for example)
- Prior experience of VR game engine systems such as Unity3D or UnReal would be an advantage.
- Prior experience of Machine Learning would be an advantage.
- Must have a keen and demonstrable interest in research and the advancement of knowledge.
- Previous experience of experimental studies would be an advantage.
- Must be fluent in English
- Speaking Catalan and/or Spanish would be an advantage.
- Apply and be admitted to the doctoral programme in Clinical and Health Psychology of the University of Barcelona.
The project will be for 3 years.
The student will receive a contract with a net salary of approximately 1200 euros/month, plus coverage of all tuition fees and 6000€ for attendance to conferences and relevant events.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com by no later than: 24th December, 2019.
Emails that do not have the subject header as: “Facebook PhD Application” may be missed.
Applications should include a motivation letter and CV, and only PDF files will be accepted.